Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, April 20, 2009

The weather is changing

The weather is finally changing! I even pulled out a pair of gloves (no not the slick black ones, but the fuzzy brown ones) to buster the cold. But, as in every part of the world, weather is crazy, and it’s hot again today.

We had a very special week. On Wednesday, I got to accompany my companion to the temple to see the sealing of a family that she taught over a year ago. It was a young couple sealed to their two young girls. It was really beautiful, and the first sealing I’ve seen. The mission president and his wife came too and afterwards invited everyone over for brownies and ice cream! Yum!
Because we lost a day, we had to work extra hard the rest of the week. But we do well, and on Saturday we had a baptism! Four hours before it started, we couldn’t get the hot water on and began heating pots of water on the stove, one pot at a time attempting to get the font ready. Wheww, thank goodness one of the members came by and got it kicking. After that everything went great, We had a lot of investigators in attendance, and members. Plus the refreshments were awesome! ;) They eat a “pizza” here that is just the crust and a tomato sauce. Apparently it’s called something else if it has cheese on it.

Also Sunday was dedicated to being “Missionary Sunday” and, yup, the missionaries had to give the talks. So...beginning with talk preparations that morning, continuing in the taxi, pulpit, and up to the very point when I stood up, I was pretty nervous. But it went great! Of course there were some things there that I am pretty sure didn’t make sense at all, but considering everything, it turned out to be success. People said they could feel the spirit, and that is the important part. (Again, this makes me thankful for the time last year I spent studying Spanish; it’s nice to be able to use the language well!)

Tonight we are planning a family home evening with two of our investigating families. It is soo fun when you start to know people and love people and just get so excited to see them! Geez, this is probably why changes are so hard—next week my companion is going home!!! And I know I will cry; she has been a great missionary and a great companion. I miss her already, but I know she has left a lot of good here in such a way that miracles will continue to happen even after she’s gone. = ) Thanks Hermana Allphin! Love ya lots! =) =)

Below I will post more or less what my talk was. I’ll do my best to give the accurate English translation of the scriptures, but be gracious.

Love you all,
Hermana Salisbury

-----
Hello,

It would be a lie if I said that I wasn’t nervous to speak today, I am almost scared to death, but I will do my best and hopefully everything will be understood.

Today we’ve been given the topic of missionary work, or that is, the dispersion of the gospel.
I’ll begin with a bigger picture view, then we’ll go into personalizing the message as we go along.

First, let’s begin with the family of God. Everyone here, in the chapel, in Pocitos, in Uruguay, in the world, are children of God. We all lived together with God before coming here to the Earth. We all came to Earth with the same purpose.

Let’s read in the scriptures about what this purpose is:

In Alma 12, he is teaching the people about the fall of Adam and Eve, I wont go into details of the fall, but in verse 24 he explains to us the purpose of our life here on Earth.
24 And we see that death comes upon mankind, yea, the death which has been spoken of by Amulek, which is the temporal death; nevertheless there was a space granted unto man in which he might repent; therefore this life became a probationary state; a time to prepare to meet God; a time to prepare for that endless state which has been spoken of by us, which is after the resurrection of the dead.

So, our purpose—To prepare. To make mistakes, to learn, to grow, to reverse the separation and return back to God.

God made a way for us to make mistakes, repent, change and to ultimately get closer to him. This is the baptism, as Maria Laura just experienced yesterday, the baptism by someone who has His authority, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and the continual cycle of faith and repentance throughout life.

So we are all here with the same purpose to come closer to God through baptism.
Wow. That’s a lot of people who have to get baptized. That one door has to fit a lot of different circumstances, variables, cultures, languages, races and religions. Can it really be that God intends for everyone to go through this same door?

This is what I asked myself many times. Then I was reading in Mosiah 18 and a verse really spoke to me which touches on this very topic.

Marvel not. Marvel not he says.

Well how is it that everyone is just supposed to know about this plan? They are just supposed to know what the purpose is here? about baptism?

Let’s read in Alma 12:28-29
28 And after God had appointed that these things should come unto man, behold, then he saw that it was expedient that man should know concerning the things whereof he had appointed unto them;
29 Therefore he sent aangels to converse with them, who caused men to behold of his glory.
God says He had to let his children know about this “plan” in some way or another. So what does he do?

He sends angels, messengers.

Where are these angels? Who are there? Where can the be found?

In the scriptures, and even in the present history of the Church, there are histories of angles sent by God to tell His children about the plan.

But it is my personal testimony and experience that there is no better angel or messenger of God today on the Earth than a member of the church, firm and faithful in their testimony of the gospel.

(a hush goes over the audience)

There are many doors in the world and many paths, but only one leads back to God and eternal life. One member more, is one angel more, standing at the portal waving and guiding their friends, neighbors, brothers into the entranceway of our eternal purpose.

I know that sometimes it can seem hard to share the gospel, but it is not. And every member has every capacity to work as a servant of the Lord in spreading His word to His children.
I leave these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
-----

OK, so it’s a rough draft—it of course sounds better when the Spirit is behind it.

Love you all!

Oh and Herman Allphin took pictures of the baptism. I think her mom should send some over to you guys.

Love Love

No comments:

Post a Comment